If you’re anything like me, there was a point when you stopped feeling like yourself.
You lost it.
Your energy, your stamina, your drive, your performance in the gym.
This point may even be RIGHT NOW.
Is it a challenge to get to the gym? Do you have trouble getting it up, or pleasing your significant other? Is your body looking more like a “dad bod” than it used to?
I feel your pain. In fact, I personally dealt with all of these signs and symptoms of low T myself many years ago.
I can personally attest to how miserable things can get when you go down that path.
I distinctly remember my doctor telling me the only option I had was to take hormone replacement therapy. At the time he told me that, I didn’t know much about nutrition. I definitely didn’t know anything about natural T optimization.
But I did have some common sense. And something didn’t feel right …
It didn’t make sense to me that I would have to rely on a T-gel for the rest of my life.
If my body stopped naturally producing T, then why couldn’t I figure out what happened, and naturally trigger that same T production again to bring my levels back to normal?
So, like you, I went in search for some help on the internet.
There wasn’t much info out there at that time (nearly 10 years ago), unfortunately …
So I went to school and got my degree in neuroscience from Duke University, and leveraged all of the resources of the university, the professors and the research to naturally solve this problem on my own.
And I did … naturally raising my T levels from 11 ng/dL all the way up to 1200 ng/dL — way above the normal range!
The profound changes I felt were incredible. As I implemented everything I was researching into my own life, I found my rate of muscle growth increased; my well-being was sky high; my drive and performance jumped back to superhuman levels; my facial hair grew; my hair became thick and healthy; my acne even cleared up; and I dropped the excess body fat I was carrying around.
If you want these benefits too, I put together some of the major things I learned here on this page. These were the keys to my success when it came to increasing my T levels naturally.
First off, let’s look at:
What Is Natural T Optimization?
Your body naturally produces this powerful male hormone: T.
This happens when the hypothalamus secretes gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) which then travels to the pituitary gland to trigger the release of the gonadotropins; luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH).
These gonadotropins then travel down the spine and into the testicles, where LH stimulates the leydig cells to convert modified cholesterol (pregnenolone) into T, and FSH works more in the department of sperm production.
So that’s what we’re focusing on here. We are looking into different ways to naturally bring T and the supporting hormones into the upper reference ranges, sometimes even above. And this is all done without the use of steroids or exogenous hormones which only suppress the natural production.
I recommend the following approach for beginners:
1. Get comprehensive blood labs to know where you’re at.
2. Learn the principles of endocrine system functions (gives you an advantage — I teach all of this in my book Master Your T).
3. Start from the basics such as sleep, exercise and proper nutrition plan.
4. When you learn more, look into more hi-fi stuff like supplements.
5. Keep monitoring your hormone levels and watch them increase.
Here Are 5 of the Biggest Things I Learned While Naturally Increasing My T Levels That You Need To Know Today
1. Micronutrients Matter … A Lot
Micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) are necessary catalysts and co-factors in nearly all of the bodily metabolic processes.
This obviously includes all of the key functions of the human endocrine system, such as T synthesis, thyroid hormone synthesis, sperm production and the like. Deficiency in any of the key vitamins or minerals can severely suppress your body’s ability to produce T.
Here are some examples:
• Vitamin D3 supplementation at 3332IU/day for year raises T by 25 percent.
• Vitamin E supplementation at 483mg/day can bump up T levels by 30percent.
• Boron taken for 6-10mg/day improves free-T labs by ~28 percent and lowers SHBG.
• Fixing a zinc deficiency can nearly double the serum T-levels while improving thyroid labs.
• Magnesium at roughly 1000mg reduces SHBG and raises free-T by a nice 24percent.
2 – Nutrition Matters… and It’s Not Always What You Think
Healthy nutrition is the cornerstone of men’s health and hormone optimization.
If you are not in the utmost genetic elite, you simply cannot have optimal T levels without adhering to the core basics of nutrition for T production.
Don’t worry though, the way to eat for increased T production, is not complicated. It all comes down to adjusting your caloric intake, setting up macronutrient goals that best suit your situation, and then choosing the right pro-T foodstuffs over the kind that can prove to be harmful for endocrine health.
Very simplified version of this would be as follows:
◦ Consume foods that are rich in essential pro-T nutrients.
◦ Avoid foods that have that suppress T (estrogenic, goitrogenic, etc).
◦ Consume adequate calories. Starvation down-regulates androgen production.
◦ Stay close to macronutrient ratios of 25 percent protein, 25 percent fat, 50 percent carbohydrate.
◦ Limit your intake of proven test suppressants: PUFA, trans-fats and processed grain.
◦ Include proven androgenic foods in your diet: eggs, coconut oil, tubers (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots), fruits …
3. You’re Exposing Yourself to Toxic Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals Dozens of Times Every Single Day
Many lifestyle factors, such as smoking, the usage of alcohol, sleep, prescription medication, stress, mood, confidence, romantic life, and the like, can have a huge impact on our T-levels.
You also should monitor your exposure to environmental endocrine disruptors, such as chemicals in certain types of plastics, some pesticides in our food supply, or the parabens and heavy-metals in our personal care items (soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc). These are all known to affect hormone levels.
Here’s what I mean:
▪ Each extra hour of sleep can mean roughly 15% more T for the day ahead.
▪ In multiple studies, overweight men constantly sport lower T levels than their lean peers.
▪ A wide variety of anti-androgens are exposed to the world on a daily basis, effectively suppressing T.
▪ Alcohol dose-dependently disrupts the synthesis of male hormones and boosts estrogen.
4. There Is a Specific Way to Exercise That Trains Your Body to Produce More T Naturally … and It’s a Challenge
Different types of exercise have different effects on our endocrine system and to the rate at which our bodies are able to churn out T. Some of the important things you should know are:
▪ Resistance training skyrockets resting T (+40% in 4-weeks).
▪ Simply walking and doing recreational activities ramps up androgens.
▪ You can train for maximal T surge and androgen receptor activation using a system like THOR.
▪ The optimal training timing and order for best T response focuses on emphasizing certain muscle groups that have more receptors.
▪ Overtraining hammers androgen production and skyrockets cortisol — your main stress hormone.
▪ Training this way will help you to build big broad respect demanding shoulders naturally.
5. Supplements, Namely Certain Herbs and Minerals, Can Be Super Effective
Supplementation can give you that edge in hormonal optimization. Plus supplements are fun to use and explore their many benefits.
For the goal of increasing T levels naturally, supplementation with herbs, amino acids and certain minerals can be very effective.
Once you have the most important factors taken care of, there’s handful of scientifically proven supplements that can be used to manipulate hormone production.
• Forskolin which increases cAMP and nudged T levels up by 33 in human studies.
• Mucuna Pruriens which raises dopamine, and thus ramps up T production.
• Ashwagandha which in one study took the average T from 630 to 726 ng/dL.
• Carnitine which has been proven by muscle-biopsies to increase androgen receptor density.
• Or the estrogen blockers that inhibit aromatase (grape seed extract, IC3, resveratrol…)
Since uncovering all of this information, a few years ago I decided to start my own company to develop the highest quality T-boost supplement ever made.
The formula is called Testro-X.
Testro-X has quickly become our most popular, and most re-ordered natural formula for men between 30-60 years old.
The whole idea of naturally increasing androgen production is simpler than the doctor will tell you.
1. Correct key micronutrient deficiencies: magnesium and zinc are paramount for men to supplement with if they’re deficient
2. Lower stress (cortisol) naturally with key herbs: organic ashwagandha and forskolin have been shown in research to not only lower the stress hormone cortisol but also increase natural men’s health hormones that lead to lower body fat, better sleep and greater stamina
3. Increase production of a hormone known as LH: luteinizing hormone is the key precursor hormone for men, released from the pituitary gland in the brain, it signals to your body to produce androgens naturally
This is the “algorithm” I used to formulate Testro-X.