Most of us who are health-conscious think about what we eat, but we don’t always think about where our food comes from. When making this recipe, stick with eggs, cheese and butter from organic sources to get the most nutrients from your food.
Oh, did we mention that there’s bacon?
Bacon often gets a bad reputation because it’s high in saturated fat. However, bacon also contains monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid. Oleic acid is the same type of fat found in olives and avocados that give them their benefits.
If you have the time, make your own hash browns from organic potatoes to avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids. Polyunsaturated fats from processed foods can cause inflammation in your body.
SCRUMPTIOUS: Maple-Chipotle Thermo Breakfast Bowl
When choosing eggs, look for organic eggs from free-range chickens. Chickens that spend their lives in cages are often fed low-quality grain. You have heard the expression you are what you eat? Well, your food is what it eats as well.
If you load up on sugar in the morning, you’ll feel awful for the rest of the day because your insulin levels will spike and then crash. This recipe is high in protein, nutrients and healthy fat to give you an even flow of energy throughout the day.
All the foods in this recipe fit with the Thermo Diet. Not familiar with the Thermo Diet? This diet eliminates foods like grains and nuts that are difficult for your body to break down and replaces them with healthy foods that increase thermogenesis (the release of heat) in your body. The diet is high in carbohydrates from starchy vegetables, moderate in protein and modern in fat. Get your Thermo Diet meal plan today to see why it’s a game-changer.
Southwest Egg and Hash Brown Bake
- 5 cups frozen hash browns homemade to ensure organic and PUFA free
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 jalepenos diced
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 2 oz shredded cheddar
- 1 oz cotija cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup bacon
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet spray with cooking spray. Heat on medium heat,then add chopped onion and jalapeno. Saute for 5 minutes tosoften onions. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add coconut oil to the pan and cook hash browns (make sure to season hash browns well). Once hashbrowns are cooked to your liking, spray a 13x9” baking pan with cooking spray, spoon hash browns into baking pan and spread evenly. Set aside.
- In a saucepan add butter and melt on medium-low. Once butter ismelted whisk in milk and heat (don’t boil). Remove from heat, addsriracha, salt and pepper to the milk/butter mixture. Let cool for afew minutes.
- In the meantime whisk together 4 eggs, season with salt andpepper. Slowly start to whisk the butter/milk mixture into theeggs. After those ingredients are combined, pour that over thehashbrowns. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then pepper/onionmixture, bacon and then top with crumbled Cotija cheese. Coverwith foil and place into the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to cook preheat oven to 350°. Cook covered for 35minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.