If you’re not refueling after your workouts, you’re not giving your body the raw ingredients it needs to get stronger.
This tasty flank steak recipe is filled with the protein and fats your body needs to recover. In a rush? No problem. You can whip this recipe up in less than an hour including prep time.
The source of your food makes a big difference. If you put garbage into your body, you’ll feel like garbage. Avoid meat from cows that were raised with hormone injections and stick to grass-fed meat.
PAIRS WELL WITH: Thermo-Style Baked Onion Rings
Steak is an excellent source of essential nutrients like vitamin B6, vitamin B12, zinc, selenium, iron and niacin. Eating healthy shouldn’t mean eating bland. Instead of relying on sugary sauces that spike your insulin, this recipe is flavored with natural spices, orange, lime, and a dash of honey.
Spices are some of the most nutrient dense foods that you can eat, and this recipe includes cumin, chili powder and garlic.
- Chili powder contains a substance called capsaicin. Capsaicin acts as a powerful antioxidant that prevents metabolic damage caused by exercise. It also has anti-inflammatory properties to maximize your recovery.
- Garlic contains vital nutrients like vitamin B6, vitamin C and manganese. It can also boost your immune system and help you stay healthy so you don’t have to take time off from your workouts.
- Cumin contains iron, which is a common deficiency among athletes. Cumin also benefits your digestion.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it fits the nutritional guidelines of the Thermo Diet. If you’re not familiar with the Thermo Diet, it’s basically designed to increase thermogenesis in your body so you convert more of the energy from your food to heat.
By eating the right foods, you can restore your hormonal balance and keep your body in optimal health.
Marinated Thermo Flank Steak
- 32 oz flank steak
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- coarse salt and pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- For the flank steak, use a meat mallet to pound out the meat into ½-1 inch thickness (this will make the meat very tender and help to cook more evenly). Place the meat into a large ziplock bag, pour marinade over that, close bag and try to get most of the air out. Place into the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to make, remove from fridge and let sit for about 10 minutes at room temp. Remove steak from the bag and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill on medium-high heat. Cook flank steak for 5-7 minutes on each side (for medium-rare). When cooked to your liking, remove from grill and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- When slicing, make sure to cut into thin strips against the grain.