There’s no reason why you still can’t enjoy all your favorite foods even though you’re on a diet. Ask any bodybuilder what their favorite protein source is and they’ll probably tell you either protein or tuna. Both of these foods contain tons of protein with few carbs and little fat.
This chicken recipe strikes a great balance between healthy and delicious. With 40 grams of protein per serving, it makes a great post-workout meal to aid your body in recovery. There are also less than 3g of sugar so you don’t have to worry about spiking your insulin.
DELISH: Parmesan-Garlic Potato Wedges
Most people know that there’s protein in chicken. But do you know what other essential vitamins and minerals it contains? Chicken is also a source of selenium, phosphorous, vitamin B6 and niacin.
The button mushrooms used in this recipe are also loaded with nutrients. With only 15 calories per cup, mushrooms pack 17 percent of your daily riboflavin, 13 percent of your niacin, 11 percent of your copper and 10 percent of your pantothenic acid.
We could all use more greens in our diet, and asparagus is an excellent source of vitamin K. Vitamin K is an essential vitamin responsible for blood clotting and keeping your bones healthy. Asparagus is also loaded with antioxidants to prevent oxidative damage in your body1.
MORE: Jammin’ Jamaican Chicken
This recipe follows the Thermo Diet. If you’re not familiar with the Thermo diet, it uses a science-based nutritional plan to increase thermogenesis in your body. Thermogenesis is basically the release of heat from digestion. The diet is high in carbohydrates from starchy vegetables and moderate in healthy fats and protein. Not on it yet? Try it today to take back your endocrine health.
Seared Chicken Thighs With Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 30 oz chicken thigh about 4 thighs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 oz cooked asparagus
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 16 oz white button mushroom
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on each side and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of oil on medium high.Add seasoned chicken thighs skin side down and sear for about4-5 minutes to get a nice crust.
- Remove from the pan and place the chicken skin side up on thebaking sheet. Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken, until cooked through.
- In a large skillet on medium heat add remaining 1 tbsp of oil, thenadd mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes until all liquid is fullyabsorbed.
- Add chopped onions and cook down for another 5 minutes. Addgarlic and season with salt and pepper. Pour in cream and a couplethyme sprigs and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring to combine allingredients. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, then season with more salt (ifneeded). Add cooked asparagus pieces for the last few minutes andstir.
- Place cooked chicken thighs into the sauce and serve.