One of the hardest parts about eating healthy is finding the time to cook. It’s much easier to skip your meal prep and grab something on the go. Unfortunately, when you’re out of the house, it isn’t always easy to find something healthy to eat, and if you do, you’re probably going to pay much more than if you made it yourself.
Making this crockpot barbacoa recipe is the perfect way to balance eating healthy with quick meal prep. You can whip up this recipe in under twenty minutes in the morning and it will be ready for you six hours later.
Each serving of this recipe contains almost half of your daily protein, making it a perfect post-workout meal. You can even half your portions and end up with eight high protein meals that you can eat throughout the week.
No matter what your fitness goals are, there’s one rule that always holds true. If you put garbage into your body, you’re going to get garbage results. That’s why this recipe relies on natural spices and peppers for flavor.
You can easily adjust the ingredients in this recipe to fit your preferred level of spice. Want to really feel the heat? Double up on the number of chili peppers, jalapeños or chipotles.
The active chemical in peppers called capsaicin causes the burning feeling you get in your mouth after eating something spicy. Although your mouth may feel like it’s on fire after eating too much spice, it’s actually this ingredient binding to receptors in your mouth that causes the feeling. This chemical may have several health benefits such as slightly increasing your metabolism and reducing your risk of developing cancer.
All the ingredients in this crockpot barbacoa fit the nutritional guidelines of the Thermo Diet. If you want other delicious recipes like this one that help your body function optimally, get your Thermo Diet meal plan today.
Thermo Diet Crockpot Barbacoa
- 3 lb boneless chuck roast fat trimmed and cut into 2-3 inch cubes
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce soy-free
- 4 oz can of diced green chilis
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- In a large bowl combine chipotles, green chiles, garlic, jalapeno,sweet onion, lime juice, beef broth, vinegar, agave, cumin, oregano,salt, pepper, and ground cloves. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add trimmed and cubed meat to the crockpot. Pour seasoningmixture over the meat and toss to fully coat the meat. Place bayleaves on top and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- When barbacoa is done, remove the bay leaves first then take outthe barbacoa from the crockpot and shred with a fork (should fallapart easily), return to the crockpot to toss in the juices, then serve.