After a hard session in the gym, your muscles need carbohydrates and protein to refuel. These sweet potato wedges with sriracha honey dipping sauce are a perfect post-workout meal, especially if you couple this recipe along with a slice of grass-fed meat or fish.
Whether you call them sweet potatoes or yams (let’s not get into the subtle difference) both are more nutrient-dense options than white potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are a nutrient powerhouse. In a 100 gram serving, you get more than 10 percent of your RDA of niacin, copper, vitamin B5, potassium, vitamin B6, manganese, vitamin C and vitamin A. In fact, they provide so much vitamin A in the form of beta carotene (more than seven times your RDA) that the surface of your hands may turn orange, although the condition is harmless.
Sweet potatoes are also filled with both types of fiber you need for optimal health, soluble and insoluble fiber. High fiber foods like sweet potato keep you full so you’re not back in the kitchen a few minutes later looking for your next meal.
To maximize your fiber intake, leave the skin on instead of peeling them.
Using olive oil to bake these wedges gives you a boost of a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat called oleic acid. Research shows that regular consumption of oleic acid may decrease your risk of developing heart disease, cancer and diseases caused by excessive inflammation.
If you’re somebody who dislikes the taste of cilantro, feel free to leave it out of this recipe.1
Sweet potatoes are a staple carb source in the Thermo Diet. The Thermo diet is high in carbs from starchy vegetables, moderate in protein and moderate in fat. If you want to maximize your energy levels, check out the Thermo Diet guidelines to see how it can benefit you.
Sweet Potato Wedges with Sriracha-Honey Dipping Sauce
- 20 oz sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- chopped cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut potatoes into wedges (should make 8 wedges per potato) and place into a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and black pepper over potatoes. Toss to fully coat each potato wedge.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then place the wedges on the baking sheet skin-side down.
- Put into the oven for about 20-25 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.
- When wedges are all done remove from oven sprinkle with fresh cilantro and add more salt (if desired).
- Serve with Sriracha Honey Sauce for dipping.